Wednesday, October 04, 2006

There's A New Blog In Town

While I'm not new to the concept of blogging, I've never felt that there was much need for me to speak up--especially since there are a number of voices that are doing a helluva job capturing the spirit up here in the Northern Berkshires and beyond.

Well, I changed my mind.

My wife and I are new(ish) to the area. We bought a 120-year-old house in North Adams this past winter, and we're trying to fix it up. We're trying to get more involved in our community--seeing what works, what isn't working, and where we can pitch in.

I want to add my opinions to the discussions on the best approaches to public policy, regional planning, city and state politics, and the role of government in the average American's life--realizing the wide variety in the definition of the "average" American. I want to get the opinions of the folks who read blogs like this (realizing there's even WIDER variety of the "average" blogger) and have a decent debate.

I want to talk about fixing up this house I have here. Real estate is a great motivator of human behavior and much of politics at the local level, to be honest, is homeowners and small businesses trying to maximize their investments. Plus, there are more hands after the ever-dwindling contents of my wallet than ever. I could always use the advice of those who have gone before me down the unheated, windowless hall of home ownership.

I want to talk about business, the media, human relations, my family, and our dog Winston. I think nothing would be better than dragging the Northern Berkshires kicking and screaming into the 21st century, attracting more learned minds, more skilled hands, and a decent Chinese retaurant. These buffets are just grease-and-MSG palaces, and Chopsticks in Williamstown has crummy service on the order of a major European city. Good to know that at least one thing up here is up to world-class level.

Eh, but if nobody reads this blog, so be it. Could be worse.

1 Comments:

At Fri Oct 06, 11:23:00 PM EDT, Blogger DWPittelli said...

Adams has a decent Chinese Restaurant, i.e., Chee's.

BTW, I moved into an 1897 Victorian in Adams this summer.

--David Pittelli
http://woodedpaths.blogspot.com/

 

Post a Comment

<< Home