Thursday, August 23, 2007

What Has He Been Doing?

Back when I started doing this, I told myself that I wouldn't blog about blogging. With blogging, as with most things, nobody cares about the process, just the product. It's just human nature to pay no attention to that man behind the curtain. And speaking as both a blogger and a blogging reader. it's less than thrilling reading about bloggers blogging about blogging.

I am, of course, violating that principle right now. Eh, what the hell. I figure there's no need getting all high and mighty with myself.

Back when I started doing this, I wanted to write longer posts, too. Partially to train myself to write column-length stuff in case someone may one day want to underpay me for prose; partially to avoid horning in on the act that the bloggers I read were pulling off. Still, I'm not sure I'm going to stick to my guns on that one. Maybe a few quick paragraphs from time to time helps keep the neurons from getting too sticky.

Also back when I started doing this, I was under the impression that there were fewer people without a shred of a sense of humor. Really. I like to try to keep this light. I'm not here to get on anyone's case. I'm not usually pushing an agenda, apart from simple straight-up good government stuff. Most of my posts have dealt with desserts and countertops and Star Trek. I'm not a rabidly opinionated type of guy.

But it makes blogging a whole lot less fun when I have to get all defensive every time I make public some trivial detail of my experience. It has never made any sense to me to pursue the politics of personal destruction that have so pathologically perfused the populace over the last decade. Sure, other folks opinions may be uninformed, factually incorrect, or just flat-out stupid, but nothing to me has ever been truer than the somewhat politically incorrect maxim that arguing over the internet is like running in the Special Olympics--even if you win, you're still retarded.

I like a good discussion as much as the next guy, but I get tired of being called names, having my positions misrepresented, and basically taking a big bite of shit sandwich when all I'm trying to do is keep writing. I'm going to have to move to fiction. Actually, I have a short story started, and I'll end the post with the first couple paragraphs. If anybody wants to read more, I'll post the rest of it:

Jennifer Love Hewitt reshouldered the dusty AK-47 she had ripped out of the hands of a dead Soviet paratrooper back in Angola in 1986, spit a Skoal Bandit into the sandy ground, and peered past the chalky cliffs into the blinding sun.

"Fuckin' pricks," she muttered to Kelly Clarkson, who was standing two paces behind her. "You can tell they're just going back to the old playbook. Flank us around that ridgeline and pin us down while they run back to the high ground. That's just how fuckin' Hilary Duff got her tits blown off." Sweat dripped into her cleavage as she defiantly spit, "Not this time, you douchebags. Not this time," to the enemy hidden in the surrounding hills.

Clarkson understood, too. She understood Jennifer Love Hewitt in only the way that semi-hot, family friendly young female celebrities and lesbian lovers turned elite strike force commandos can understand each other.

So let me know. I'll probably start posting more regularly now that summer is winding down, but I'm not going to be picking any fights with anybody for a bit. You'll just have to deal with mundane--yet witty and impeccably punctuated--comments on stuff like what TV shows we're watching and our latest charity event. Go ahead, see how big and smart you sound picking on me about being a Rotarian, tough guy.

7 Comments:

At Mon Aug 27, 02:53:00 AM EDT, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Good to see you back, Ross, you lame-brained horse's backside. (I jest, of course).
I hope you'll stick with this. Trouble is, part of the whole schtick (sp?) with blogging is that everyone gets to rip the hell out of you or your opinion. That's part of the fun.

 
At Mon Aug 27, 08:34:00 PM EDT, Blogger DWPittelli said...

Oh yeah, just start with the sexism and violence against women. And you think the Collective won't put a target on your back?

There is something to be said for having a basic, fairly narrow topic for a blog, such as knitting, cooking, child-rearing, fiction.

Even if it's, say, baseball, and you anger some Yankee Devil, the vitriol is limited in dimension, if not in scope. That's why I pretty much stick to gardening on my own blog. On the other hand, when I get caught up in blog storms elsewhere, I get nothing posted at my own site.

A surplus of metaconversations: When I went to my first prep school, we had chapel 5 times a week, and students were strong-armed into doing what passes for a sermon in such a place. It seemed a good third of the sermons were about what it was like to do a sermon. Amateur theology would have been less tedious. Oddly, I was never approached for this honor. It seems that sometimes the authorities do know what they're doing.

 
At Mon Aug 27, 11:03:00 PM EDT, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Excellent Ross--- glad to have a common ground with you --the Dartmouth Indians-- oh that's right you were there when it was just the Big Green---why is it that the Dartmouth Seal still has a couple of Indians walking up the hill to Dartmouth Hall???? I guess the total purge of PC takes time-- you write exquisitely-----and as one alum to another (remember Robert Frost is considered an Alum
even if he didn't graduate)---you do Dartmouth proud--even if you are a flaming liberal asshole--as opposed to a flaming conservative asshole---the only difference between the two is that their assholes really hurt---please keep on posting- I don't get to read such prose in my classes--I need you as a guide to better writing--truly said with compliments-- chbpod

 
At Mon Aug 27, 11:10:00 PM EDT, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Although I have been invited to address the Rotary on a couple of ocassions over the years--- I still have a negative feeking toward the Rotary-- I played for the Kiwanis in Little League and Rotary was one of our biggest rivals----sorry it was implanted in my cultural being at an early age--- you know-- nurture not nature

 
At Tue Aug 28, 06:36:00 PM EDT, Blogger Greg said...

Ross - If you continue to write about Jennifer Love Hewitt, I am going to have to kick your ass.

That said, welcome back.

 
At Wed Aug 29, 04:53:00 AM EDT, Blogger Southview said...

Ya.....then what? "As the blog reader was breathing heavily and the sparkling droplets of sweet ran slowly down the side of his reddishly flushed cheek" Dam you Ross! Are you just going to leave us hanging out here twisting in the wind?

 
At Wed Aug 29, 01:46:00 PM EDT, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Not since Gore Vidal brought the Lincoln Administration to homo-erotic life has a piece of fiction straddled the fertile grounds of realism and sex appeal the way your piece does.
Kudos, sir.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home