Thursday, October 05, 2006

Saturday In The Parkade

There's an editorial in today's Transcript and a story in yesterday's edition lauding the new Parkade--the long-awaited reopening of the former KMart plaza a block south of Main Street.

I think everyone's pretty psyched about the movie theatre. Some are psyched about the Olympia Sports, but if it's anything like the one down in Pittsfield, I wouldn't get too excited. And Peebles--well, I'm not feelin' the love from that many folks there. Tara wants to start a campaign to bring a Lane Bryant to town, and she's got a great point. Nearest one is in Albany, where there's tax on clothes; next one is in Holyoke. Anyone listening over there?

I'm a bit shocked at the disappointment when the Applebee's fell through. I think it's a good thing for the nearby full-service American casual restaurants right around there--Boston Seafood, the Freight Yard Pub, and Friendly's--all of which would be competing around the same price point without much of a difference in selection. If it has to be a chain restaurant, I'd like to see something more ethnic that would spice up the local offerings while still being mainstream enough to gain acceptance among less adventurous palates. Maybe an On the Border, or Don Pablo's? How about a reasonably priced steak place a la Kneebones in Allendale? Or an Irish pub? PF Chang's? Bertucci's? Tony Roma's?

Yeah, I realize how easy it is to sit here and cherry-pick what restaurants I'd like to see here and not actually do anything about it. What can the average citizen do, though? How can Joe Sixpack help the city get hooked up with a Lane Bryant and a Benihana?

And what punster came up with the name "Parkade"? It sounds like an energy drink made out of trees and benches and young couples pushing strollers on Sunday morning.

Looking forward to seeing how this all plays out this winter and spring.

5 Comments:

At Fri Oct 06, 08:22:00 PM EDT, Blogger DWPittelli said...

No man,

What we really need is a Trader Joe's, with beer and wine. And Indian food (in, say, Adams, since they've got one in Wmstwn). And a Jewish Deli, or a real bagel place like Cafe Fresh Bagel in Needham Heights. Maybe the Gap could put in a big-box across the parking lot from Wal-Mart. Naturally, I'm not investing in any retail projects around here, and maybe I'm talking out of my fanny, but I think most of these would be reasonable investment gambles. Of course, the empty restaurants on Route 8 in Cheshire, and downtown Adams and N. Adams make their own counter-argument...

 
At Fri Oct 06, 09:25:00 PM EDT, Blogger Wes said...

Welcome aboard, Ross. You said what needed to be said on the MCLA blog far better than I could.

WF

 
At Fri Oct 06, 11:56:00 PM EDT, Blogger Ross said...

Thanks, Amy. And Wes--I read Amy's comment on your blog and followed the link; I couldn't resist saying something. Still interested in seeing what you have to say in response, though. Sometimes a good fight is worth it.

DW: Tara TOTALLY agrees with you on the deli. There's Poppa Charlie's in W'town; it's the only passable pastrami sandwich for miles in any direction, and while that's not saying much, it beats the hell out of another friggin' Subway.

Gotta love Cheshire. The last two restaurants in town closed this year. Christina's, in fact, closed down with absolutely no notice but for a flyer taped to the door. "Adios, MFs", I could have sworn someone said to me was written on it.

The Firehouse Cafe is by far one of the best in the area, and it's open late. Enjoy.

 
At Sun Oct 08, 09:20:00 PM EDT, Blogger DWPittelli said...

Ross,

BTW, although I was not the author, I am fairly certain that that MCLA blog post was a satire, designed to mock various postmodernisms.

 
At Sun Oct 08, 09:22:00 PM EDT, Blogger DWPittelli said...

Every time I drive with my kids past the restaurant in Cheshire with the big chicken on the roof, I say "El pollo grande" to my children, and they strain to see the chicken. And then I think, why not a kid-friendly Mexian restaurant, keeping the chicken as kitsch, called "El pollo grande"? Or maybe even "Big Red Chicken" with a Dora theme.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home